Electronic Throttle Control Problem.

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

Ritterkreuz

Electronic Throttle Control Problem.

Post by Ritterkreuz »

So this morning I start my truck (2004, Ram 1500 with the 5.7 of course) early to let it warm up a bit. I take my daughter to the neighbors and when I get back its idling kind of fast and the Electronic Throttle Control light is blinking. The engine then suddenly drops to about 400 rpm's, then back to about 1500. I shut the truck off and check the manual (I've never had a problem with anything on the truck before). When I see what the light means I restart the truck with the intention of taking it to the garage instead of work. This time though there is no light, and everything is running perfectly normal.

On a side note, the highest temperature we've had in the last 4 days has been 15 degrees F, with lows in the singles, and a wind chill of -25. Could that have anything to do with what happened?
NASCAR Nextel Cup, the Greatest Sport Ever.
2004 Ram 4x4 1500 Quad Cab
5.7L Hemi, Sport Appearance package
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

The same thing just happened with my buddies 04 Ram. He shut the truck off and restarted it and everything was fine. Temps here haven't gotten above 0 for the past 6 days. Dang computers.
392 Blown Hemi
RockyMtRamOwner

Post by RockyMtRamOwner »

Ahhh, the infamous electronic throttle control. I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Hemi, and the ETC has plagued me since I've owned the truck (currently 74,000 miles). I can't complain about dealer response, since every time it has been fixed free of charge. Since August of 03 I have had the PCM replaced 4 times, the chip reflashed with an updated program, two MAP sensors replaced, several rounds of head scratching at the dealership, and a distinct lack of confidence that anyone at Dodge has the faintest idea why. The symptoms are similar, sudden loss of throttle, flashing light on the dash, forcing me to pull over and restart the truck to clear the light and get it back to normal. I travel extensively in the mountains of Colorado, and the best the service department can tell me is not to coast in cruise control while going downhill, avoid extended idling, and to blip the throttle once in a while. I've had it happen in warm and cold weather, high speed, low speed, there doesn't seem to be any consistency. I have brought the truck in 9 times for this problem over the last three years, I was even told this was unique to the 2003 model year. Again, it has always reset and never left me stranded, but emissions warranty runs out at 80,000 miles, and the dealer has told me after that no more free PCM's and MAP sensors. In the course of all this I've learned how to get the trouble codes. Turn your key to the on position (just so the dash lights up, don't engage the starter), then back to off three times, and the diagnostic code will display on the odometer. That's saved me the $125 "diagnostic fee) at least 5 times. Hopefully you won't have as much trouble as I have had, but if you do the PCM is covered under the emissions warranty and there is at least one technical service bulletin, the one to reflash the chip. Maybe when it's out of warranty I will yank the throttle body, go with an aftermarket and install a conventional throttle cable. There has to be a better way.
softail200

Post by softail200 »

my 03 has had the same troubles for the last month have had to the dealer 4 times and ive heard everything from the throtle body is dirty to my k&n filter is causing the problem. still not fixed i cleaned the throtle body myself and put a fram filter in just to be sure but i am still getting the same old thing have been to 2 different dealers so any help would be
appriciated