5.7 hemi in a 1968 Barracuda. Which one?

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

lantzn

5.7 hemi in a 1968 Barracuda. Which one?

Post by lantzn »

Hello this is my first post. I'm planning to pro-tour my 68 Barracuda coupe. I was going to put a 360/904/8.75 into the car. Now after reading all the great stuff about the comparisons of the 360 with the 5.7 hemi, I've decided to put the hemi in the car. This car will become my new daily driver and have all the modern creature comforts.
I see there are many versions of the 5.7 on your Hemi Roadmap page. The stock hemi hp is plenty for my needs and I can save a bunch by finding a used engine.
Which version/year/model of car/truck/engine should I be looking for? Simple is better and I understand I will need to get a harness and have the computer reprogrammed for my purpose from an aftermarket dealer.
Should I take the stock transmission, if available, or go with something else?
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

If it were me,I'd try to find a car engine,it has a much cooler intake and water pump design,and they go for about thr same money as the truck motors.Try to get everything you can with it,computer,wiring etc.If you want to use an aftermarket engine management system,I'd go with the AEM system,I here its the most reliable. Ron http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

You can get the MP1 intake if you look hard enough. Edlebrock and Indy are also coming out with a new intake shortly. Don't use a 45RFE tranny. If you want an overdrive in your new ride, get a 46RE. If you don't care about an overdrive, go with a 727. :wink:
392 Blown Hemi
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

Would you need a carburated one, or an EFI?
392 Blown Hemi
lantzn

Post by lantzn »

Is any particular year better then another with the 5.7?
hemidup

Post by hemidup »

The 5.7 blocks are all the same.
392 Blown Hemi