help

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

buckcreek

help

Post by buckcreek »

today coming home from the camp ground and the yellow engine symbol came on and stayed on. all guages where in the normal range. I researched the web and found an artcil on turning the key on/off 3 xs and look at the odometer, well nothing happened but the symbol went off. any ideas on what happened..

also have a problem with the downshifting on the ram , as I pull the travel trailer on the level road it shifts out great but as I start climbing a grade it seems to loose a lot of speed and I have to press down on the gas alot before it downshifts and as iit does shift down it seems like I just pushed the pedal to the floor. I tow the trailer in the tow/haul mode . Is there any thing that could improve this. Any ideas would be a great... thanks
03 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4
93 26ft jayco travel trailer
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Can't help with the yellow light.

Whenever I tow something I don't wait for the trans to downshift when going up a hill. I do it myself. If you keep pushing on the gas and nothing happens and you keep slowing up, all you are doing is heating the heck out of your trans fluid. By downshifting manually you increase the engine RPM's which in turn pulls more air through the radiator, which in turn keeps your transmission and engine cooler. Which in the long run equates to more transmission life.
buckcreek

Post by buckcreek »

thanks deso i took my truck to the dealership to have the transmission computer flashed and lucky i had written down the tsb number becauce they looked at me like i was crazy asking for a flash but they found the flash and installed it. the truck seems to shift better but have not towed anything yet.
03 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4
93 26ft jayco travel trailer
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I do not have a gas engined Dodge but your problems with the auto are one of the reasons I will never tow with an auto truck.

Every Dodge tech I have ever talked to about this problem has told me that those auto trans' have problems downshifting when towing heavier trailers and to shift it manually if you want it to last.

They also mentioned to get a larger cooler and to change fluid yearly or get a manual trans truck.

I took their advise around 93 and went to manual/Cummins and have never regretted it.