ETC problems on my '03 5.7L

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

ryanspeterson

ETC problems on my '03 5.7L

Post by ryanspeterson »

Hello all, I am happy to have found this site. Maybe some one has had similar problems and can offer advise...

The problem I am experiencing is:

A few weeks ago the engine check light & red lightning bolt light started blinking in the dash while exiting the freeway (ETC warning light) I pulled over and observed an erratic idle and depressing the throttle had no effect on raising the engine RPM's. I shut off the engine and checked the codes and the computer dropped about 5 check codes not even listed on the sticky in this forum. I wrote them down then cleared them and started the engine. It ran fine rest of the day. Minus 3 MPG (probably because I reset the comp)

A few days later it happened again only this time the engine died and dumped 5 weird codes.

This is happening every few days now- only; the engine just goes into a limp mode (only down shifting 1 gear instead of 2 when I step on it) with the ETC light flashing and is drivable. The engine check light will go off after a few ignition key cycles and then the ETC light comes on every so often dumping weird codes. But usually goes away after I cycle the key.

Today I got a little more insight on the issue- The ETC lightning bolt came on and put me in limp mode as I drove over a curb. (Loose or corroded wire in the ETC circuit???)

I am a mechanic so I am struggling with taking it to the dealer until I have tried all I can try, which is nothing but observing up to this point.

What do you guys think? Any Ideas? Experience?

Thanks... Ryan
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

Most of the 2100 level codes are listed which are the ETC codes. Lots of things can cause ETC codes. There are tsb's for pcm flashes related to erroneous ETC codes. But they can be from actual throttlebody motor issues, they can be from map sensor problems, or vacuum leaks. Lot of things can trip those.
1971 Plymouth Cuda - 451 stroker
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
ryanspeterson

Post by ryanspeterson »

Thank you for your reply. I disconected the battery and went to work cleaning all sensor connectors and all the plugs going into the engine computer. I am waiting to see if it did any good. I am going on two days without a code but i'm sure I couldn't get this lucky.

Here are some codes I can't Identify/ not on the sticky:
P0585
P0688
P2106
P2108
P2112

Depending on how bad the dealer wants to rape me, flashing the computer will probobly be my next step the issue continues.

Thanks ... Ryan
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

The P2106 is set anytime another code is tripped involving ETC.

P2108 is a problem with the throttle actuator which is really related to the P2112.

P2112 - Electronic Throttle Control - Unable To Open. This DTC will set at time of engine
start up. This condition may effect all vehicles listed above, except Durango (HB) and Ram
Truck (DR).

P0585 Cruise Control Multi-Function Input "A"/"B" Correlation

P0688 ECM/PCM Power Relay Sense Circuit /Open
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
MangoInTX

Post by MangoInTX »

When I had my 03 RAM QC Hemi it also started freaking out. All them lights, codes and cutting out.

The dealer replace the instrumentation panel wiring harness. Once done the truck ran like a scolded dog.
ryanspeterson

Post by ryanspeterson »

Update:

I had ECT (red lightning bolt) problems among other things last August and I never took it to the dealer I just fixed it myself- Here’s what I did:

-Disconnected every weather pack electrical connector I could reach (especially the ones on the computer and throttle body)

-Thoroughly cleaned them all with electrical terminal cleaner spray

-Checked that each and every pin was tight/ not broken or bent

-Applied dielectric grease to both sides of every connector

-Reconnected the plugs

It took me like 25 minutes to do the whole engine compartment and I am going on a year now since I did this and I have never had an issue with the computer, wiring, error codes, weird blinking lightning bolts, engine stalls... anything since last august.

I bought the truck used last June and I think whatever degreaser they used to detail the engine bay with, corroded or otherwise caused connectivity issues with some of the electrical connectors. The Corrosion was barely visible so I doubt very seriously the dealer here would ever have been able to properly diagnose or fix the issue I was having. They would have just swapped out computer after computer for the last year/ I would have eventually just given up and sold the truck.

I hope that saves someone else a headache or two... Ryan
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

Excellent. If it does it again, get the "erroneous ETC flash tsb" applied.
2005 Chrysler 300c