need help with 6.1L hemi

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

barracud72

need help with 6.1L hemi

Post by barracud72 »

it is my first time in this forum i was amazed by the people here their knowledge how they want to help , i had to be a member.

i am starting a long project for my 72 barracuda it is rolling chassis no engine no trans it used to have 440 auto trans.
the car will be driven daily so i want it to be good both idle and when i want to push it hard.

the plan was to use the 425 hp hemi engine,auto trans, Wiring Harness, engine and trans computers from charger.
since i was looking for a clean look and hasel free to have both the stock engine and the trans was the best choice.
however i am planing to increase the engine later to reach 550-600 hp
using the novi 1500 supercharge or changing the cam and head later on still not sure which way i will go.
i know that the stock trans can't Handel the extra hp, should i change the trans or it is possible to keep it and modify it to heavy duty,
which is the best way to do it put in mind i want auto .

also about the wiring i heard some people went with LS1 computer and sensors should i think about doing that or keep the stock,
the S&P offering a wiring harness is it different than the stock i will buy it from them with the engine brackets if it the best option

last thing i have 8 3/4 rear end 3.55 ratio it came with car will it cause any problems or should i go with different rear
i am going to have 21"-22" rims in the back and 19" in the front should i change the 3.55 ratio

i Will use the tubular k-member conversion kit from magnum force and KW suspension

i know all this will cost me a lot but it is worth it, that is way i want to do it correctly so any help from you guys will make my dream come true
faster and maybe cheaper lol

thankx in advance
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I would not use the Magnum Force K member, as the general consensus is that it is a good race piece, but built too light for street use. My choice would be an AlterKtion K member. It is much stronger, and designed for street use from the start. Check it out at the links below.

http://reillymotorsports.com/store/prod ... 255&page=1

http://www.bigblockdart.com/alterktion/index.shtml
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
barracud72

Post by barracud72 »

392heminut thankx for the advice
i went to the site the AlterKtion for 70-74 E-body
k-frame look solid they are trying to make acomplete kit for the 6.1L
with the headers TTI fixing all the problems with clearance isues
i am goinging through their kit to figure out what the best options and upgrades for my barracuda since i am going for 19" reims front and 21"-22" on the back still not sure what should the break size be