scottm

5.7 HEMI projects w/o the 5-speed auto

Post by scottm »

Someone asked me why so many people are going with
older transmissions instead of the late model 5-sp autos
that come with the new HEMIs. For those of you that are
doing swaps and using older transmissions, do you care
to share why you're not going with the 5-speed auto from
a late model vehicle? This ? is based on our curiosity.
57HEMICUDA

Post by 57HEMICUDA »

Too much floor modification on the muscle cars ,I always try not to make any mods that aren't reversible
Hawaya

Trans ?

Post by Hawaya »

DITTO, I did not want to cut the floor of my Cuda.
JV
JohnnyVickers
mauicuda

5.7L Hemi conversion with 727

Post by mauicuda »

I wanted to stay with the 727 so that I did not have to change driveshaft or trans mount or linkage. My car will not be driven on the street that much so don't need overdrive. Subject vehicle is '68 Barracuda, same as Johnny Vickers. Aloha from MauiCuda
moparmaker

Post by moparmaker »

I am installing the 5.7 in a 1987 Ramcharger. The main reason for using the 727 is the cost of the new trans and xfer case, not to mention the mods. I really don't know of any other reasons not to use the 5 speed as I have seen it as a very dependable unit.
rjmyer

my 03 hemi 5 spd. auto

Post by rjmyer »

i have a 1500 st w/ 5.7 liter hemi hooked to the 5 spd. auto,have 38,000 miles on it ,some engine mods. but the trans. will not go into 4th or 5th gear.so needless to say.its in the shop, going on day 8.
hemijr

5.7 hemi with a 5sp

Post by hemijr »

first time user on this site.

in reply to who is doing what..........

Im using a Keisler 5sp in my 70 cuda.

really did not want to cut the floor either.
what I did was spliced cut of my own version.
" T " cut the floor, then opened it up like a can.
installed the trans, then relayed the floor back.
I just layed the new hump in place and only had
to cut out the metal for the handle of 6" sq.
the hump is screwed down now. I will spot weld
it and also will stitch weld the T slot in the floor then
will use body filler to seal.
barracud72

Post by barracud72 »

hemijr
do u have pictures for the floor and the trans weld

i have 72 barracuda i am going to install 6.1l hemi and thinking
of getting the keslier 5 speed auto overdrive i want auto trans that will handel 600 hp for street use driven daily

and i want to know what things i have to put in mind for the hemi project
dakotahemi

Post by dakotahemi »

I used the 5-speed auto from the 4x4 Ram in my Dakota swap. It cleared the tunnel with plenty of room to spare. A little tech info: the 4x4 5-speed auto uses the standard transfer case bolt pattern and splines as the older Dodges and Jeep vehicles. I was able to bolt the NP231 from the '97 Dakota directly to the 2500 Ram's transmission. I would have gone with the Ram's 271 case, but it is very large, and I don't know if it will clear my frame and floor. I'm also able to use my original driveshafts because the 5-speed auto is exactly the same length as my old auto.

Jim
mr fabrication

Post by mr fabrication »

I put a 5.7 hemi in my 92 daytona ,converted it to RWD and I used a T56 six speed . got the whole kit from dark horse performance, cost about 3200 and came with everything even a lakewood steel bellhousing and hydraulic clutch set up and clutch and pressure plate,everything to make it work, not like the aluminum bellhousing i got with the five speed from keisler, .

if your going to run a manual trans like the A833 four speed or the T56 .get the flywheel from mcleod, the crank is offset by about 60 thousandths from the older smallblocks and the starter teeth need to be offset the same. I got the first flywheel mcleod made for the new hemi.
ProstreetAMX

Post by ProstreetAMX »

I kept the auto that was attached to my Hemi on my Javelin project. I did have to modify the trans tunnel a lot for this trans to fit, but mostly to clear the pass side stock exhaust manifold so I could retain the front portion of the factory exhaust with the cats. The front diveshaft yoke is splined the same as an AMC 727 yoke I had.
Richard Payne
72 5.7 Hemi Javelin
Las Vegas
dakotahemi

Post by dakotahemi »

Javelin? Hemi?? Front driveshaft yoke??? I want to know more!!!! I'm picturing a 4x4 Javelin with a Hemi...am I close? I'm a Jeep guy, with a little AMC knowledge that goes along with it. IIRC, the 4x4 cars were the Eagle, some Spirits (?), but I don't remember a 4x4 Javelin version. I thought those were the ones built on basically the same platform as the AMX?

With my Dakota project on hold because of drivetrain funding issues, winter and no garage, buying a house, etc., it still leaves me with a Hemi and sick thoughts about what would be cool to do with it. Some possible ideas are to put it in a Jeep Cherokee XJ (all measurements already taken from my wife's '98, and it should fit); find an old AMC Rambler, maybe even a wagon, and stuff it in; or other sick ideas. Its in the Dakota and running, but I still have sick thoughts. Any of the following would be a cool (to my sick mind) transplant victim:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rambler- ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-AMC ... dZViewItem
Or even:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-vin ... dZViewItem

Jim
ProstreetAMX

Post by ProstreetAMX »

When I was talking about front yoke, it was in reference to the front of the 2wd drive shaft. I did once put a 71 Javelin body on a Jeep Wagoneer 4x4 frame. I fit pretty good but if I were to do it today, I would use a more modern suspension like the Durango frame under the vintage Wagoneer body that Popularmechaics.com did on thier web sight. My Javelin is a highly customized car with a 2004 Hemi truck drivetrain. I used all the electronics and many other components from the donar truck. Pictures of the car in progress can be found on Photobucket.com and search for 72 Javelin. The Javelins have a 108" wheelbase while the early 2 seater 68-70 AMX's have a 96" wheelbase.
Richard Payne
72 5.7 Hemi Javelin
Las Vegas