Which way should I go

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

GONE1445

Which way should I go

Post by GONE1445 »

after reading the majority of the posts on this site it got me really excited about modifying my hemi but i dont know which way i should go (nitrous, supercharger, turbo, or N/A) my truck is my daily driver so its gotta stay reliable.
2003 ram R/C bone stock for now mmmmmwwwaaahahahahahahhah
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Nitrous is a bandaid that you have to keep changing, i.e. you have to keep filling the bottle. I would go with either the turbo or supercharger. The other downside to nitrous is that some places have passed laws making it illegal to have a nitrous bottle in a street driven vehicle. :-?
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
GONE1445

Post by GONE1445 »

I know its not illegal here in michigan because a lot of auto parts stores sell the kits but the only place that I knew that filled them went out of business a few months ago haha
freebird12345687

Post by freebird12345687 »

While I'm not to fluent on the new Hemi's yet, my opinion is a turbocharger. Theres no extra drag put on the motor, theres no paracitic power loss either. Turbos in my opinion are simply more efficient. The forced induction 5.7L that i have read about (never actually seen one) were making usually a sniff over 500 ponies under 10 psi. Downside to any forced induction setup with a new hemi is that the computer will not compensate for extra volumes of air, in this case would create a detrimental lean condition. This is usually remedied by an extra fuel injector that swtches on and off when needed. I figure in the long run you'd be better off with ANY forced induction setup rather than go with nitros. I don't know first hand how much it costs to fill a nitros bottle but it just seems for cost effective to me to go with a turbo or supercharger. Do your research, theres a couple good companies building some well developed turbo ad supercharger systems for these trucks, i've seen talks of stand alone management systems which would remedie the computer restrictions on namely the fuel. I think if i were you i'd give it another year or so and see what the aftermarket comes out with. I see more and more Hemies everyday, and if they're getting sold in those kinds of volumes then the aftermarket has to respond with something good.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

GONE1445 wrote:I know its not illegal here in michigan because a lot of auto parts stores sell the kits
Usually it's not illegal to sell the kits, just illegal to have a bottle in a vehicle operated on the street. Also, do you plan on not driving your vehicle anywhere but your hometown?
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
GONE1445

Post by GONE1445 »

freebird12345687: from what im told it is usually about $5.00 a pound for nos so $10.00 for a 10lb bottle which i wouldn't use it all to often.

392heminut: My truck is my daily driver so i commute to school and work in it but when summer comes around i usually make one or two 200 mile trips up north

I got it narrowed down to either the STS turbo and all the other stuff to make it work right, or a nitrous kit I picked these two becase u can controll how much HP they add and when(ie. boost controller, just turn nos off) the main reson for wanting nitrous is because I think it would be more economical just because I probably wouldnt use it much so a bottle would last me quite a while, but on the other hand the STS turbo with some other little goodies can make up to 400+ rwhp and just turn the boost down for every day driving but to get the turbo and every thing to make it work properly would be around $6,000 or so where as a good nitrous kit is like $600
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

i would turn left at the corner :lol:

supercharger
SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

thats funny math! its $50 a bottle!
GONE1445

Post by GONE1445 »

$50 a bottle what!!!! I got that number from a site that makes a nitrous kit for my dirt bike and they said $3.00-$5.00 a pound I'm just tellin u what i heard. seeing how I have never had nitrous on a car I dont really know (if I run nitrous I will probably go with the standard 10lb bottle) so any one with prices your feed back is greatly appreciated.

but like I said im probably gonna save and get the STS turbo it seems like there getting 99% of the bugs worked out
freebird12345687

Good choice, good choice indeed! Happy Chevy hunting, go easy on the Fords though, i drive one but my heart will forever lie with Mopower.
GONE1445

Post by GONE1445 »

funny you should say that freebird because it just so happens I go to school right by fords head quarters and all I see on my way to and from school is ford mustangs and f-150's(boss, lightning, etc.) so that is probably all I will beat on

there is even one lucky punk that i go to school with that gets to drive a ford gt40 the new one
freebird12345687

Fine be that way.....i however wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the GT......that could spell a butt whoopin for you.
GONE1445

Post by GONE1445 »

ya i know