Mileage

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

I get 17.3 mpg with 60% hiway on my SC ..maybe my mods have helped. The wife gets 13 with 90% city driving.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

perhaps I'll try that plus 89 octane
Foghorn, I don't know if you got a manual with your used truck, but it states that you should be using 89 octane anyway.
James24977

Post by James24977 »

Just got back from the Salt Flats (Speed Week). Highway 93 most of the way. Mileage at 75 mph with a/c on, cruise control on most of the time,
went between 12 and 18 mpg. Most of the time it sat at 14.

89 plus for fuel.
2004 Ram 2500 Laramie, Long Bed, 4X4, 5.7
Hemi, 3.73 Limited Slip, 5 Speed Auto,
LT265/70R17E, Alloy Rims, Tow Package, 6 Disc
CD Changer, Protection Group, Deep Molten Red Pearl Coat. Westin Oval Step Bars,
Rancho RS9000X Shocks/Rear, Leer Cap.
Babdoc

HEMI's SUCK FUEL!

Post by Babdoc »

I have a '04 QC short be 1500 completely stock. One a 20 hour road trip I was getting close to 17 MPG. Around town is 10-11 MPG. I ran 93 octane and did not see any benefits. I stick to 87 octane. I purchased a "literider" toneau cover and I seem to get better highway MPG. Whatever you do you will never get great gas milage. Except the fact that we drive HEMI's cause we like too, not to get good MPGs!
needforspeed

mileage

Post by needforspeed »

Have a 2004 quad cab , short bed witha RT 10 front end , hood ,fiberglass bed cover with a spoiler and 22in. 305x40 Kuhmo tires. Also an Airaid filter and Jet chip. In town stop & go driving about 12-13. Hwy with cruise set at 80 my best is 19mpg ! I really have no complaints .[/list]
TheRedneckWay

Post by TheRedneckWay »

LOL my best tank is 12 mpg...... but with a 4x4 and 37 inch shoes I guess thats par for course
bigsnakebud

mileage

Post by bigsnakebud »

My 03 lb 2500 gets 9.1 in town and 6 to 9 pulling a 6500 lb boat or 20 ft enclosed trailer and this is after having the tsb flash done. The 6.1 cannot be any worse.
the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys
ltolen

mileage

Post by ltolen »

what is the gear ratio on a full tank of gas vs. half a tank? With a full tank of gas on the highway I get 24.4mpg and on half a tank I get 21.3mpg.
Goose

Post by Goose »

I get 13.7 to 13.9 in the city with a heavy foot....all city driving.
I got 16.9 average with cruise set at 85MPH on flat land with no wind over a distance of 130 miles. I have the 34 gallon gas tank too and keep it over half a tank usually. Yes, it's a 1500 with the big tank.
'02' Ram quad.....oops!
I just traded for an
'04' 1500 Hemi quad.
Atlantic Blue, MagnaFlow cat back dual side exits, Airraid CAI, 3.92 anti spin, Chrome 20s (more to come)
ltolen

mileage

Post by ltolen »

Hey Goose! Are you considering a supercharger? I'm a newbie to the forum, should this be a different thread?
Goose

Post by Goose »

No,

It would make a good thread of it's own but...

Dodge was considering the Supercharger but nixxed it for the 6.1L Hemi.
I'm inclined to agree with them.

I just want a SuperChips programmer for my 04 HEMI!!!!
'02' Ram quad.....oops!
I just traded for an
'04' 1500 Hemi quad.
Atlantic Blue, MagnaFlow cat back dual side exits, Airraid CAI, 3.92 anti spin, Chrome 20s (more to come)
David O.

mileage

Post by David O. »

I'm got 13000 miles on my 2004 now. Everythings stock. 11 - 12 in the city, 14 - 15 on the hwy
XXLCH

5.7L gas mileage

Post by XXLCH »

Road tested 2 different RAM 1500's
Test 1, long box standard cab w/5.7L, got 22 mpg at steady 55 on cruize control flat road, reset trip computer several times during test. Had about 150 miles on it. 17 inch tires, 3.5? gears. Forgot, 2 or 4 WD
Test 2, quad cab w/5.7L 4WD, got 18 mpg, flat road at steady 55 on cruize on flat road, 20 inch tires, 3.9? gears, , cruize on, reset trip computer several times while driving. Had about 150 miles on it.
xxlch
pcmenten

Post by pcmenten »

Try using the middle grade of fuel on your next trip.

The pumps at the Chevron station around here used to have stickers on them that said 'Contains MTBE", but only on the 87 and 91 octane pumps. The 89 octane pump (the middle grade of fuel around here) never had that sticker. I got curious about that, so one day I called the local tank farm to see if someone could explain that.

I explained why I called and asked for a engineer. They connected me to someone who seems to understand the question and was a little impressed that I had noticed and thought to call. He explained that the fuel gets pumped through the pipeline in 'clear' form and after it arrives at the tank farm, additives like MTBE are added to alter its octane. MTBE is 'oxygenated' and has less energy yield than straight gasoline.

Short answer; the middle grade will give better power and mileage because it has less additives.

Also, my wife's Jeep (5.2L not-a-hemi) gets about 18 MPG at 70mph, 16.5 at 75mph. Try different speeds on a flat road and watch the instantaneous MPG reading.

She hates it when I drive 70 on a 75mph highway, but it's easier on the Jeep to go a little slower.
Thanks and best regards,

Paul
Sam Makitra

Fuel Economy? GO ELECTRIC!!!!

Post by Sam Makitra »

It just kills me to hear everyone *&%#$ about the HEMI's fuel consumption. Duh! Horsepower uses fuel! Duh! What were we expecting....GOOD FUEL ECONOMY? Go buy a TOYota or a Nissan or something that ADVERTISES good fuel economy.

The commercials ask "That thing got a HEMI?" NOT "That thing got good mileage?" or are we seeing different commercials?

Ask NHRA Funny Car pilots Whit Bazemore & Gary Scelzi what their HEMI's guzzle and they will tell you about 12-13 gallons per quarter mile. Of course thats @ 330mph+ !

Horsepower or Economy.

Dodge HEMI or Chevy Cobalt ?

Quit bellyaching and get rid of it if ya can't afford it!

I can't afford the gas either, but I am consumed with the sound and power of my HEMI and I FLOOR IT EVERYDAY!!!!! Why? Because I like it!

Fuel economy is for yuppies and wimps!

Hemis are about extreme performance not bed wetting!

Besides we now control the gas and oil rights of the second largest oil reserve in the world....so let's party!!!!!! :roll:
Goose

Re: Fuel Economy? GO ELECTRIC!!!!

Post by Goose »

Sam Makitra wrote:It just kills me to hear everyone *&%#$ about the HEMI's fuel consumption. Duh! Horsepower uses fuel! Duh! What were we expecting....GOOD FUEL ECONOMY? Go buy a TOYota or a Nissan or something that ADVERTISES good fuel economy.

The commercials ask "That thing got a HEMI?" NOT "That thing got good mileage?" or are we seeing different commercials?

Ask NHRA Funny Car pilots Whit Bazemore & Gary Scelzi what their HEMI's guzzle and they will tell you about 12-13 gallons per quarter mile. Of course thats @ 330mph+ !

Horsepower or Economy.

Dodge HEMI or Chevy Cobalt ?

Quit bellyaching and get rid of it if ya can't afford it!

I can't afford the gas either, but I am consumed with the sound and power of my HEMI and I FLOOR IT EVERYDAY!!!!! Why? Because I like it!

Fuel economy is for yuppies and wimps!

Hemis are about extreme performance not bed wetting!

Besides we now control the gas and oil rights of the second largest oil reserve in the world....so let's party!!!!!! :roll:
Sam, sit down and take your pill bud! 8)

I think we're just noting what mileage should be and can be with mods etc......Step away from the keyboard!...lol
'02' Ram quad.....oops!
I just traded for an
'04' 1500 Hemi quad.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

It just kills me to hear everyone *&%#$ about the HEMI's fuel consumption. Duh! Horsepower uses fuel! Duh! What were we expecting....GOOD FUEL ECONOMY? Go buy a TOYota or a Nissan or something that ADVERTISES good fuel economy.
Thanks for such an enlightening post. I guess each of us will go out and trade in our truck for a Prius now. And I'm sorry that you're offended that we might actually have discussed (not complained about) the mileage. I'll send all my future posts to you in private first, so that you can tell me whether they'll bother you or not.
SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

I get 17.4 mpg average on my 04 sc (50% city driving, maybe my mods help) and 13.2 mpg average on my 03 QC (90% city driving)
michiganhemi

mileage

Post by michiganhemi »

i have a 03 2500 qc i get 8 in the city and 14 highway have a single flowmaster muffler bfgoodrich at 315 and now have a hypertech programmer , the mileage sucks hope it gets better with an cold air intake
SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

Mich....the Hypertech lll killed my MPG, i am getting 14.5 mpg average now. I was getting over 17
michiganhemi

Post by michiganhemi »

what intake is the best out there
foxbo

Post by foxbo »

I have an 04 QC 2500 and I seem to average 11-11.5 mpg. This is the first Dodge I have owned and to tell you the truth (don't want to ruffle feathers) but I should have bought an F-250. I have always driven ford trucks but wanted to try a Dodge with the Hemi. I have to say I'm impressed with the power and response, but I expected a little better mileage. I'll stick with this truck until gas goes to 2.50-3.00 a gallon before I give it up.
SoCalHemi04

Post by SoCalHemi04 »

I have a 03 qc that gets 13 city and 16 hiway...how many miles do you have on your 04?
springer

Post by springer »

I have a 04 1500 quadcab hemi 4X2 with 20" wheels, with about 8,000 on it, and I am getting around 16.9 mpg highway and about 14 around town.
04redhemiQC1500
8intexas

Post by 8intexas »

2004 Quad Cab 2500, 4X4 Hemi, 27,000 miles
best I get is 11.6 city, 12.4 hwy.
Borla exhaust, 5"lift, 35" tires.