5.7 2003ram 2500 engine code po456 evap leak monitor

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

jim wayts

5.7 2003ram 2500 engine code po456 evap leak monitor

Post by jim wayts »

brought to 5 different dealers all they do is clear code and it comes back on in two weeks engiune light comes on so when im duie for vechile inspection it wont pass can anybody give me any suggestions.

thank you

JIM WAYTS
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

I used to get a different code (443, I think) that came down to having a bad leak check pump. Mine's also an '03. Getting mine fixed took 2 or 3 trips back to the dealership before they figured it out, so suggest to the next guy that they look in that direction.

Here are my suggestions:
1) File a formal complaint with DC corporate. There's no excuse for getting a leak code and not trying to fix the leak.

2) Find a 6th dealer (or pick your favorite of the other 5) and tell them up front what's been going on and if they don't actually get the problem fixed you'll be camping in their showroom until they do. Make sure the service manager is the person you tell this to.

3) Demand from whatever dealership that next works on the truck that they give you, in writing, an itemized invoice of exactly what work they performed. That way, if you have to go back, you have proof of what they've already tried, and can "encourage" them to look at the next possible cause, until the entire evap system has been replaced.

3a) As I think of it, it might not be a bad idea to go back to each of the 5 dealerships and ask them for detailed invoices on what work they've done for you. They're supposed to be keeping those records. You can include those records (or mention their lack) when you send a letter to DC corporate.

4) Don't hop to a second dealership until the first one has had several shots at fixing a given problem. In my experience, particularly with this truck, it often takes several tries for them to figure out exactly what to do about a given problem ('03 calipers, anyone?). Of course, that could be because I go to a small-town dealership...