O.E.M. SRT Ram Air intake system

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

chryslertech

O.E.M. SRT Ram Air intake system

Post by chryslertech »

I am a Chrysler Tech and own a 04 Ram 5.7L hemi. I purchased an OEM Ram Air Hood from Mopar, which fits good, but Mopar does not offer the ram air intake system to the throttle body. I purchased an aftermarket ram air system which is for that company's ram air hood. The set-up is terrible--not O.E. quality at all. I spend $225.00 on this kit and maybe with alot of hours of modification I may get it to work right--maybe!!! IF anyone out there has any ideas on where to get the correct ram air set-up or has done the hood conversion to OEM ram air --please respond. By the way, I called Mopar direct and searched the Dodge parts screen for the viper v10 in the SRT, and there wasn't any ram air duct from the hood to the air box assembly. I feel frustrated--trying to hook up my truck right and can't...
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

Last I saw, there was no mopar ramair hood. If you are referring to the SRT-10 hood, it is a non functional hood. The open section is meant to direct cooler air over the engine block and cool down engine bay temps. If you want to make the hood functional, it will take a lot of time and effort to fab up a sheet metal piece attached to the hood to seal to the functional piece. Guessing you are talking about the airram hood with the k&n flat filter.
Last edited by Rampant on Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
firefighter6526

Post by firefighter6526 »

You could leave the hood alone and drop the passenger side fog light and home build a ram air chute form pvc or the metal flex hose( used for the exaust vent on your stove.).It's sold in several sizes at Home Depot or Lowes. When I have some free time I'm gonna try that.
03' Quad Cab 2wd 5.7 HEMI(Bug Luv'n White)
03' Accord EX(Silver Bullet)
96' Protege(My Ecofriendly Beat'r)
1 Hag
2 Rats
Rampant

Post by Rampant »

People have been doing the fog light thing with some success. Also some people are using the scoops off mustangs or making their own and hooking it up under the bumper.
chryslertech

Ram Air Hood

Post by chryslertech »

Thanks alot guys for the advice on my Ram Air problem. I'm still going to try to use the SRT Hood and make it functional. I am going to try oval heater duct off the scoop and fit it on the hood over the a/c compressor and down into a K&N air box configuration. Since I work on Chryslers--there are a few Grand Cherokee's using the 4.7L, that have a 3" flex air duct from the throttle body to the air box--which will fit the Hemi's throttle body opening and over to the K&N air box. I'm going to configure something. My Hood opening is right in the front --so alot of forced air can go to best use then--flowing over the engine--!!!! If anyone out there knows the part# for a K&N air box that will fit where the O.E. air transfer box (on top of the engine) let me know. Take care HEMI HEADS.......
hemifever

Post by hemifever »

chryslertech, did you get the air box from ramairhood.com? I have plans to buy their functional srt-10 hood with air box. It's the closest "most" functional piece that I've come across. Their hood is metal, and painted with billet grill inserts and air box it's $1200 shipped to me. They seem to stand behind their product and rave on about their air box.
1971 Plymouth Cuda - 451 stroker
2003 QC 4x4 Dodge Hemi - STS Turbo, KRC 6005 heads & rods, Ross pistons, 6.1L crank & cam, ARP main/head studs, JBA headers, SMT6, APS converter: 575rwtq/492rwhp @ 9psi
2005 Chrysler 300c
MEANGENE75

Post by MEANGENE75 »

here is what i did. i ditched my afe cold air kit for a mopar performance kit. then one day, i got a flyer in my mail box, (i work at a chrysler dealer) for a mopar air duct to make the srt 10 hood functional with the mopar cold air. i couldnt believe it. after searching the net and giving up due to bad fits and low quality my savior was here! sort of. i got the kit. which is a huge black plastic duct. it fit really poorly around scoupe and required some trimming to fit. you also must trim the heat shield around the cold air kit so the duct can pass onto the filter. the rivets included to hold the duct into some pre existing holes in the hood support are just a bit to long. i found this out when two of em popped little dents in my friggin hood. long story short. ive got a really clean and functional cold air system. looks factory. and chrysler paid to have the dents fixed and hood repainted. supposedly i was the first to get the kit but im sure someone out there beat me to it. but when i called mopar performace tech line to complain about the rivet lenght and fit they told me kit was being advertised but had not been released! ive had it for several months now and am very satisfied. can get the 8220.... part # for those interested.
04 hemi, sc, sport, red, 3.92 posi, 22" wheels, flowmaster cat back, mopar long tube headers, srt 10 hood, mopar cod air,cold air duct, hypertech, ground force drop, sirius radio, momo sub, tint, 180 thermostat, silverstar lamps, mopar bed cover.