hemi-engine and trans

Help with decoding your Hemi engine.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

shaun44

hemi-engine and trans

Post by shaun44 »

hi, i am new to the site and need some help. i have a hemi engine and trans. and wanted to know what car it came out of. i have a series of #s off of them and want to know how to decode them. side of engine has 10-31-67,any help would be great. thank you.
mart

Re: hemi-engine and trans

Post by mart »

You need to post the numbers stamped into
the pad on the front of engine,up by the distributor to verify exactly what you've got. But verifying exactly what car your engine came out of, even with these numbers will be difficult or impossible. Unlike GM, Chrysler didn't match the engine numbers to a particular car's VIN or serial number and thus when it comes to engines at least, there's no such thing as an "numbers matching" Chrysler. The closest you can get is having a date code usually anywhere from about a month to three or four months earlier than the build date for the car. By the way, your "10-31-67" casting date indicates the foundry cast your block on Oct. 31, 1967. There also should be a little "clock-like" icon cast into the block near the date code that will indicate whether it was cast on the 'day', 'afternoon', or 'night' shift too. Figure on anywhere from a week to a couple of months before the block casting was turned into a complete engine and then maybe a another month or even three or four, before the assembled engine made it's way into a car.

mart
================================
shaun44

Post by shaun44 »

thank you for all your info. i did some more digging and found numbers on the block and trans on top right behind the oil sending unit. the are the same #s next to eachother. 8b255793 also on bottom of block towards back of oil pan hard to read because looks like one series of #s are stamped over another. think it reads vin 46623360016 then some kind of cross at the end. over that i think it reads 12-12-67.side of block 2468330-1 carb #S are 4430s and4432s. trans # is pk2801544k23351690. appreciate all your help.
mart

Post by mart »

If the "cross" icon stamped on the engine I.D.
pad is a "Maltese cross" ( ie - sort of like WW1 German-style cross) - that indicates the engine was assembled with a crankshaft that has .001 undersize main journals. The '4430s' and '4432s' carb numbers are the correct primary and secondary carb numbers for a 1968 426 Hemi. Maybe some others will chime in with some info on the other numbers you've posted.

mart
====================